Saturday, June 26, 2010

Fresh Spin on Spinach



Upon finishing a carrot cake I made I noticed there was an abundance of grated carrots left over. It was time for lunch and rather than throwing them out I thought about what I could do with them. Taking what other randoms I had in the refrigerator and cupboard I created this bright salad.

Carrot and Spinach Salad

What You Need:

2 cups of fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup of grated or shredded carrots
2 tablespoons of golden raisins
4 sesame sticks

What to do:

Put down a bed of baby spinach, top with the grated carrots and golden raisins. For added crunch, break up a few sesame sticks and place on top. I recommend using an Asian vinaigrette, but oil and vinegar (or another vinaigrette) will probably do.

Nutrition Info (not including dressing):

Calories: 145 calories
Fat: 1 gram
Carbohydrates: 31 grams
Protein: 3 grams

Idea: For additional protein (and to make this salad a real meal) add a grilled chicken breast. Three ounces of grilled chicken will add approximately 138 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 27 grams of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment