Friday, March 9, 2012

First Watch OUT!

Brunch is the perfect meal to end a perfect weekend. In Oklahoma City there is place that I have taken all who visit me to for brunch, First Watch. Judging by the bright, sunny webpage and proclamations of using the freshest and finest ingredients you may be lead to assume that this place has some pretty healthy food.

As part of my National Nutrition Month challenge, I decided to go here for breakfast one day. Here is the Healthy Turkey off of their 'Healthier Side' menu. The omelet is made with egg whites, chopped turkey, spinach, tomatoes, onions, and feta cheese. It came with a side of tomato slices and a dry english muffin. To round off my plate I had my glass of orange juice. Random fact, OJ helps absorb the iron from the spinach.

After my meal I decided to look up the nutrition facts for my meal just to see how healthy it really was. Without the sides or juice, it came out to 206 calories,11 grams of fat, and 37 grams of protein. Not too shabby.

Then out of morbid curiosity I decided to look up my last meal there, the Chickichanga. This supreme breakfast burrito was composed of " Whipped eggs with spicy all-natural white-meat chicken, chorizo sausage, green chilies, Cheddar and Monterey Jack, onions and avocado rolled in a flour tortilla. Topped with Vera Cruz sauce and sour cream. Served with fresh fruit." Pretty much MyPlate made to order and let's just say I cleaned my plate. Now for the facts: 1047 calories, 74 grams of fat, and 53 grams of protein. That is over half of my recommended calories and way over my allotted fat in one meal!

Suddenly this meal didn't sound as healthy as the description it had and I was compelled to check out other items that one would assume were healthy. For instance, a friend and I shared the biscuits and turkey sausage gravy. Turkey sausage, that has to be healthy, right? Nope! This side was 590 calories and 29 grams of fat... for two biscuits with gravy. Not failing to mention the sodium was 90% of the daily requirement. Yikes. Their turkey sausages are 280 calories and 22 grams of fat for four links, you're almost better off getting pork sausage links instead.

The moral of the story is, beware of what appears to be healthy. Just because the menu uses words like "all-natural" and "fresh" does mean it is automatically healthy. If at all possible, look at the menu and nutrition facts online before making your dining decisions. Your waist line will thank you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment