Sunday, August 14, 2016

6/27/16

That date was the last time I was in Urgent Care,  according to my chart which I glanced at today while at Urgent Care...again. 

On June 27th I had dropped a dumbbell on my index finger while letting it go after my second set of bench presses. Which resulted in me grabbing my hand while contorting and grunting audibly for no one else at the gym at 4:30 in the morning.  Then I took a deep breath, weighed my options of a. just stopping and going home or b. continuing to work out. Going home didn't seem to make sense as what would I do there at 4:45 am? Urgent Care wasn't open yet, Mr. MFN was asleep like most sane people. So I took a deep breath and continued my workout. Which I then ran my finger under cold water between sets. Why did I do this, because I am determined to make this competition happen.

So I now I go about my daily activities with limited feeling in my right index finger waiting for the nail to fall off. Which everyone has told me will happen, but it hasn't yet. There may be pics when it finally does. 

Then I woke up this morning in the middle of the night with a shooting pain in my left shoulder. Thinking I had been sleeping on it wrong, I just went back to bed. When I woke up for good it still hurt- both when I moved it just right (which was most ways) and when my arm hung by my side. I considered putting my first aid skills to use and fashioning a sling. Then I noticed a small, hard, painful lump on my shoulder. I took a 800 mg Ibuprofen from the finger smash accident but to no relief. 

What happened? No clue! Then I did like I usually do- went to the gym to do my assigned cardio because what else would I do at 7 am. Thankfully, that was okay for my shoulder.  

After Mr. MFN felt the lump, he immediately suggested Urgent Care. After a 2 hour wait to get in, the doctor was mostly quiet while he twisted my arm about having me push and pull. He mentioned it might be a cyst or calcified tendonitis. But to be sure, it was off to x-ray for me. 

After four hours, two stops in exam rooms, and a trip to radiology- I still had no definitive diagnosis from the doctor. The x-ray showed nothing interesting, which is good I suppose. He then instructed me to decrease my weightlifting for the next one to two weeks. Which I interpreted to mean- work what you can. He also recommended I wear a sling for the next 3-5 days, ice it, take pain relievers as needed, and lean on a table while swinging my arm (in a controlled motion) about. So I will be holding this arm high and tight- until I find an upper body part I can work pain free. 
Nope, not trying this.
Source: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/shoulder-pain/deltoid-muscle-strain
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment