Wednesday, August 10, 2016

So It Began

In 2002 I decided it would be a good idea to enter into a bodybuilding competition- more specifically Miss Bikini America in Minneapolis, MN.

Thought process on my decision to enter: I workout, I look good, I can do this. Plus, I'll get to go on a trip with my best friend.  

Little did I realize how much more than just "working out" and "looking good" went into preparing for a show. Which "little" is exactly what I did. Did I have clue what I was doing? Nope! My friend was my saving grace and told me what she was doing to prepare at each step. (Which I was then doing in much shorter time frame resulting among many other dropped balls- a fun sunburn after 3 minutes in a tanning bed.)

After being awarded "Honorable Mention" (Translation: Award for putting heels and a suit on and not using use drugs) I thought I may try again, after I can eat again.

I would enter a photo of myself right about here of the end result, but I believe a guy I used to know has/ had ownership of it. Please settle for a picture of my medal.


For the last 14 years I have continued to workout and with the thought of "maybe someday". My best friend continued on her journey, kicked some ass, kicked her own ass, and posted plenty of photos. You can factor her into my inspiration to compete as well. Then in 2015 I began borderline obsessed with the idea of competing again. I began searching blogs and reading all I could on figure and bikini competitions and recommended workouts and diets.

Because if not now, when? There is never a perfect time to start something. There's always after "this weekend/ cheat meal/ pint/ glass/ [insert all too familiar excuse here]."  That had a grip on me for the better part of the last 10 years.

Eventually, if you're self aware enough, you may reach the point where you think, "F*c< it, let's roll!"  

That's what happened to me. On March 1, 2016 I pulled the trigger and contacted Sledge Athletic Solutions (SAS). Why SAS?
Reason #1: Mr. MFN's co-worker was a member and told the Mr. MFN about the great things the owner, Mark, was doing. He also slipped in that Mark trained bodybuilding competitors as well.
Reason #2: Because working out at my neighborhood gym with the acoustic guitar strumming owner was not cutting it for me.

This is what I thought of every time he took it out. 

Prior to entering SAS, I was greeted by numerous well sculpted women leaving. I was a bit in awe of these ladies. When I got inside, Mark was super friendly and readily answered any question I had. I laid eyes on the dirty boxing ring, transition my gaze to the leg press, and finally panned to the skeleton holding a "I Skip Meals" sign. I knew I had found my gym.

Fast forward to today. I am now less 10 weeks out from my first competition in 14 years. I have been meaning to get this blog up and going, but time eternally escapes me. (Better at 10 weeks prior than 10 weeks after!)

Please stayed tuned for updates (and few throwback stories from early prep) as I document this journey. On my quest to compete in NPC Battle for the Eagle on October 15, 2016.

I'm off to finish cooking up some sirloin and down the last of 170 ounces of water required for today.

Signing off from hazy kitchen... 

No comments:

Post a Comment