Thursday, September 1, 2016

8 Weeks Out: An Oregon Adventure

Prepped, frozen, and set.
Late last spring, Mr. MFN and I won a trip to go rafting on the Rogue River. This trip included a two-night stay in Medford, Oregon. Since I was already going to be in Central Oregon for a conference in late August, we decided to make an adventure of it. 

I left for my conference on Thursday, with my cooler full of meals in tow. In order to be sure I was ultimately prepared with my meals, I had created spreadsheet documenting how many of each type to bring and what kind of container it would be stored in. This is because 2.75 ounces of chicken breast and 4 ounces of yam looks just like 3.25 ounces of chicken breast and 3.5 ounces of yam. Neurotic- probably. 

Day one was fine as I was at a conference. They didn't have a microwave so I ate my cold chicken and yams for lunch. Not the greatest, but I did take advantage of the salad bar and had a salad of lettuce and cucumber slices. "No salad dressing?" you may ask. Why yes, I had those greens plain and chilled. But these were items I hadn't had in weeks so they were amazing. That night I joined my co-worker at a restaurant where I enjoyed one half glass of wine since that was not off the table for me. Her dinner looked amazing, but I had my salmon and rice waiting for me back at the hotel. 

Not too shabby for hotel gym equipment. 
Friday I got in a quick workout at the hotel gym. Since I was not familiar with what their gym had to offer equipment wise, I created my workout on the fly. It ended up being mostly back, intertwined with shoulder PT, and a little jumprope for fun. Mr. MFN arrived in the early afternoon and we explored Bend, OR. Which exploring to us generally equates to checking out breweries. However this time I got to watch and assist in his beer selection as I could have none. However, at Immersion Brewing, they happened to have cold brew on tap. Score one for caffeine intake! We also toured through an art gallery on the riverfront and found a pretty cool artist from Portland. You can see Pepe's stuff here: http://www.theblindinsect.com/

Saturday was a day I had been waiting for awhile now- we were finally going to Crater Lake National Park. Earlier in the week we scoped out the hiking options and decided on Mount Scott. Since this was an "off" gym day for me consider this hike to be some very active rest. Mount Scott is the highest peak in Crater Lake National Park topping out at over 8,900 feet and the view from the top did not disappoint. Later that night as Mr. MFN enjoyed his post-hike burger and beers, I ended up having a couple glasses of wine. My thoughts were "I did just hike a big peak and if my food intake has not deviated from the plan- what harm could a little wine do?" (Hint- more than I thought when in prep.) 

At the top of Mount Scott, burning my shoulders off, with Crater Lake is in the background


First thing I did Sunday, other than get aloe for my sunburn, was visit to the Anytime Fitness that our hotel had passes to. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the equipment (wide variety and it was good). I managed to get a good arms and calves workout in. I also added cardio just to check one session off for the upcoming week. 

If Saturday was the day I was waiting for, Sunday was the day I was apprehensively waiting for. We were going rafting, the whole point of this entire trip. I had this idealized image of what rafting was. Mainly because I first learned of rafting the Rogue River from our neighborhood winery where the owners went on a rafting trip down the Rogue and tasted wine and cheese the entire time. The wine and cheese part that was not happening on this trip. Then I remembered a few days prior to our adventure that I bought Mr. MFN a snorkeling excursion while on a cruise a few years ago. I realized on the boat out to the snorkeling site my fear of deep water. I was not quite sure how my fear would strike, or if it would on this trip. In this case, it kind of did but worked in my favor as I was sure to listen to everything the guide said. My feet were well wedged in that raft.

Please note that when in prep, you drink a lot of water meaning that water needs to go somewhere. This realization hit about halfway through our rafting adventure. Let me just say it is hard to use your core to paddle when you need to pee. 

Monday I did my cardio session at the Anytime Fitness before we left for back home. The drive home was uneventful, I was just grateful I didn't have to watch Mr. MFN eat another incredibly tempting looking/ smelling meal. I had an afternoon appointment with my trainer and planned to do my leg workout that night. Although I was 100% compliant on my assigned meals, I did go over on the wine. The wine plus the sunburn equaled some not so great results on my body comp test. All forms of alcohol are now officially off the table. Good thing I mentally prepared myself for on the drive home. I am more than okay with this development if that means I'm ready for Battle for the Eagle. 

On the bright side, at least none of the slip-ups have not equated to more cardio (yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment