Sunday, September 18, 2016

In less than 4 weeks I'll be spinning on stage through quarter-turn-rights and having the judges and audience take a look at all the work I have put in. That's a crazy thought. I never considered the fact that I have been lifting for the better part of 14 years and this is the first time I have considered it "work" compared to "working out."

Four weeks, one day out. 

I have been lifting six days a week with five of those days is paired with steady state cardio. It has been quite the time commitment, especially when I factor in my commute for work. But I am determined to get back on stage and show what I have been able to achieve. I have maintained my workout routine through schedule changes and vacations. Even when I dropped a dumbbell on my finger and developed bicep tendonitis- I soldiered on. 

Dedicated? Yes. Stubborn? Very

There is no way I am going to give up. For far too long I wavered between getting on stage or "committing" to next year. For far too long I went to the gym religiously and had perfect nutrition on the weekdays only to blow it on the weekends. For far too long I went to the gym without a goal in mind. Now I have a goal and I can see the finish line.

All that is between me and that stage is 27 days and a boat load of fish. I wish I was speaking figuratively about the fish. As of yesterday my diet moved from being the same seven meals each day for seven days a week to high and low carb days. High carb days are full of fish and egg whites as my protein sources, while low carb days I get some chicken thrown in there. Previously, I was heavy on the chicken products and only had cod once a day (sometimes salmon was added in as well). 

The amount of fish I am going to be eating threw my planning focused mind for a loop. The amount of food I am supposed to have each meal is all listed out and all the measurements are for cooked protein. Now chicken doesn't lose a ton of water in the cooking process so it was pretty easy to know how much to buy raw. But cod and tilapia?  Holy hell! Those types of fish lose more water than a wrestler before a meet. 

For the record- I like fish (tilapia more than cod) but ask me again in October. 

As I mentioned previously, my diet for the last eight weeks had been the same items each and everyday. Sure, amounts of items would get switched up as we tried to improve things little by little. But there was little variation within the actual foods themselves. I probably could have asked for more substitutes, but being a creature of habit (and a very busy creature at that), I was okay with the list. In fact, I was able to get quite creative with how I prepared my oats and egg whites. When it came to my chicken and fish- Mrs. Dash and I have grown quite close. 

Yesterday my desire for anything and everything that would derail me hit the hardest. I had made it through two weddings, two parties, countless get-togethers, and a 4-day trip with being tempted but being okay. 

But yesterday was different. College football was on (or so I am told as I spent a good chunk of my day doing meal prep) and it was a rainy, cool day. Yes friends- Fall in the Pacific Northwest is on us.   
What did I want? A beer (preferably a fresh hop IPA or an Oktoberfest), pizza, in a rustic-themed establishment. 

What did I have? A whole lot of water, tilapia, and yams.

Morale of the story- Getting what you want isn't always easy. Because if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. I know all that I envisioned as perfection last night will exist in 4 weeks (that is as long as we're not hit by an asteroid).

Last night, I made my final commitment to getting back on stage and registered for the NPC Battle for The Eagle at the Seven Feathers Resort. It's time for me to put on my sparkly heels and get my game face on. 

Yes, these are my shoes. At least the Amazon.com image of them. 

Over it and out!     

No comments:

Post a Comment