Sunday, October 2, 2016

Zucchini Flax Seed Breakfast Bars

For the last 10 weeks my breakfast prescription has been oats, egg whites, flax seeds, and salt. In fact, three of seven meals each day has been oats, egg whites, and salt. You may be wondering how one eats the same things over and over again without wanting to kill oneself.   

By adding "free" stuff to it, of course! 

What is considered "free"? According to my coach canned pumpkin and zucchini, as well as spices, were free item. Leafy green veggies are also on my "free" list, but there isn't anything on that list that I want to stick in my oatmeal.

The most common thing to make is protein pancakes with those ingredients. Just throw the items listed in the prescription with some cinnamon, vanilla, and Splenda in a blender, puree it together, and pour the mixture in a heated frying pan. 

I did that a few times, as that was an old standby recipe for me. However, my blender (now recently departed) was intended for making smoothies and couldn't handle all the macros I stuffed in it. On my quest for making things easier, I thought why not just take the blender out the process and make bars out of it?
 
As much disgust as my fish meals bring to the workplace, these bars have had the opposite effect. In fact, a couple people have asked for the recipe. Finally after 10 weeks, I am finally writing it up for all to enjoy. Since I have had to adjust the amount of egg whites and oats as my diet has progressed, I think I have landed on the perfect combination. Check out it out below for a great breakfast option on the go. In fact, I plan to make these (with non-free additions) even after my show as a breakfast/ snack option.

Zucchini Flax Seed Breakfast Bars 
6 Servings

What you need:
4 cups of oats
18 egg whites
3 tablespoons of flax seeds
1 tsp of salt
1 medium zucchini, grated (about 3 ounces)
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
3 packets of Splenda (or other artificial sweetener of choice) optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

In a mixing bowl, combine oats, flax seeds, salt, cinnamon, and Splenda. (Empty the Splenda packets and do not put the actual packet in the mix). 

Next add the wet ingredients (zucchini, egg whites, and vanilla). Mix well. In a greased baking pan (preferably with cooking spray), pour the contents of the mixing bowl. 

Place the baking pan in the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes. Remove from oven once the timer goes off. Package as you wish, maybe have one fresh, and refrigerate until use. They're good cold or reheated.  

No comments:

Post a Comment