Tuesday, April 27, 2010

For Shame!

I am a big proponent of taking not-so-healthy recipes and revamping them into delicious and nutritious meals. But KFC isn't even trying. Do they truly believe that changing out the fried chicken patties for grilled ones is going to fool people into thinking it's healthier?

I would say "Oh, please." But this is America, and you know what? It will.

On the KFC site they give the nutritional info right out in the open.

Fried: 540 calories, 32 grams of fat, and 1380 mg of sodium
Grilled: 460 calories, 23 grams of fat, and 1430 mg of sodium

So either you can either have atherosclerosis or hypertension, pick wisely my friends.

I have nothing against any of components individually. I like chicken, I love cheese (I am a Sconnie), and I adore bacon. But to put all three of them together in one "meal", slather it in some special sauce, and not include a scrap of vegetable is disgraceful.

At least during the low-carb craze they wrapped sandwiches in lettuce.

For those of you think that the Oven Roasted Twister sandwich there is any better, think again. It may have less fat (comes in at 18 grams with sauce and 8 grams without) but both still come in at over 1000 mg of sodium.

My advice: Stay away from KFC. But if you must stop, go with a grilled meal. Then make the hardest decision one may ever make at KFC: biscuit or mashed potatoes with gravy (but not both!). For your other sides choose between corn (in any form), beans (green or three bean salad), or (if you're feeling a little naughty) cole slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment