Saturday, April 7, 2012

What The...

Week one recap of attempting to eat like an American.

Amount of soda consumed: 137 ounces= 1.07 gallons.

Sweets: 1 pint of ice cream, Snickers and Peanut M&Ms (post-workout "revivers"), and a few jelly beans and chocolate eggs.

Fast food or restaurant meals: 4

My first meal out was at a taqueria near the clinic I had a rotation at. I decided that I could save the lunch I brought for dinner while in class that night and grab a burrito in the mean time. Unlike American-ized Mexican places, this burrito did not come with the usual add-ons (sour cream, cheese, lettuce, or tomato). It did however come with onions and hot sauce. These would be contributors to my first case of indigestion (along with the Dr. Pepper I opted for). Me still being somewhat health conscious opted for lettuce and tomato and didn't even think of adding on cheese or sour cream. After talking to a clerk at my rotation I learned that she, who is more of an average American, was not a fan of that place (too different her tastes) and proceeded to tell me that I was missing out on a very popular place, Chick-fil-A. I have been in Oklahoma since June and still have yet to visit a Chick-fil-A. Quite honestly, if they were open Sundays, I would be more likely to go there. I made a note of this for future reference.

My next fast food stop was at McDonald's on my way to rotation Friday morning after a bad night of sleep. I had noticed the previous day how busy the drive-thru of another McDonald's on my way to my rotation. Two lanes open and there was still a line going around the building! Figuring that a lot of people grab meals on the road I might as well do that too. Once again, still not completely disregarding what I was putting in my body, I opted for a sugar-free vanilla latte and the fruit and maple oatmeal.
All in all, I was pleasantly surprised with amount of fruit in the oatmeal and the taste. Looking at the nutrition, why this tasted so good should be no surprise. Using their Meal Builder this breakfast came out to 420 calories, 12 grams of fat and protein each, and 74 grams of carbs (a mere 5 grams are fiber and 42 grams of sugar). This now makes sense on why I crashed so hard in a group education at 9:30 am. At this point I became caffeine dependent for the rest of the day. Truth be told, I'm not a coffee or even much of a caffeine drinker and I have been drinking a lot more since I started this experiment.

Next meal, dinner out with some of the last class of dietetic interns at a fairly nice Mexican restaurant. This time, I had no regard for what I was ordering. First, everyone gets their own chips, salsa, and queso before they even order. We each had an adult beverage and a meal. I opted for the "fiesta" meal where you pick three items and also get beans and rice with your meal. I chose the pork tamale with carne sauce and the chicken and spinach enchiladas in sour cream and pepper jack sauce. Instead of getting my usually black beans I opted for the pinto beans and sausage (wouldn't everyone get sausage in their beans if they could?). Not going to lie, I probably could have eaten my entire meal. Unlike most people out to eat, I was at a table of health conscious people who were listening to their bodies on when they were full. I settled for eating half of my plate, which is already way more than what I would usually eat, and taking home the rest. Hello Easter Dinner!

Then we have today. Say hello to this little striped number.
Isn't she a hottie?

I normally do not crave meat. But today I wanted... no, I needed... beef. And onion rings. Let's keep in mind this is after I did cardio and went to a yoga class this morning. Real mind, body, stomach connection, huh? I don't know why I was craving beef so much. I can go a couple weeks at a time without meat and not really even think about it. I don't think its becoming more of the average American but more being a hormonal female. In any case, that burger and those onion rings were going to be mine. I had never had Whataburger before. The outside of it always looked cheesy and the sign didn't do much to impress me more than Waffle House, another fine establishment I have yet to visit. I went in, ordered my Whataburger (with American cheese for calcium!)and onion rings. Like fries, all the onion rings rarely make it home.

As I reached my hand into the bag, and felt one golden ring at my finger tips, the light turned green and I had to use that hand for my steering wheel. You know that feeling when you get the taste of something on your tongue and you want more? Now imagine that feeling... on your finger tips. For what felt like an eternity, and was more like two minutes, I had to drive and hope I came upon a red light. Which I thankfully did and got to indulge in my first crisp onion ring. That manage to satisfy my craving until I got home. As walked to my apartment I noticed more dogs than usual were coming to the patio doors to see who was going by. Like men, dogs like the smell of burger on a lady. I got home and decided to put on an episode of 30 Rock to watch with my meal. For some reason, I feel that Liz Lemon would look at me and smile in approval of my choice. I then unpacked my bag and felt my burger, this thing was heavy. And big.


That burger was the size of my face. I almost said "Whataburger!" Now I know how they got the name and why a regular burger there is $3.00. They also had not one, but two kinds of ketchup (regular and a limited-time only spicy). This time, like an American, I ate everything. Sure I could have stopped halfway through but there was something about it that wouldn't let me put it down. One would think you would remain full for quite a while after that. For me it was barely three and a half hours and I needed a snack. Later when I went on a walk the burger in my stomach sat there reminding me it was still digesting in there. This leads to...

Amount of antacids consumed: 4, most of which have been over the last two days.

Other than the indigestion I have to say, I haven't experienced any other noticeable effects since eating like this. I still have the same amount of energy for my workouts. I also had my iron level tested and it hasn't dropped considerably since not taking a multi-vitamin and eating canned ravioli as my only meat source. I also still eat more fresh fruit than most people. I'm going to have to reassess my strategy if I am going to do this right.

As for week two groceries, I figured I was pretty set. I only picked up tortilla chips, salsa con queso, refried beans, soda, cookies, and milk. (My word, who have I become?) I still have one ramen left, pizza, pasta, meatballs, and pasta sauce. I figured in order to drink more juice I would hold off buying fresh produce, since I can't stand the thought of potentially having to throw it away. I will admit, I was fantasizing of shopping in the natural foods section and staring at fresh produce while at the store today.

Tomorrow begins week two. I received an Easter Box from my second mom with an array of candy to help me in my quest. What better way to start week two than with a jelly bean-fueled cardio session that you are only doing so you can watch Don Draper? I mean Mad Men.

Happy Eating and Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment