Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Saturated Fat and Shamrocks

It started because I had to go to the bathroom.

I was at a craft store thinking that I was in need of some sort of project, when all I really needed was a restroom. Not seeing one in sight (at least for the public), I went to the nearest convenience store. Which was conveniently on the same intersection as a Burger King and a McDonald’s- with an enormous poster of a Shamrock Shake gracing its window. Like many Americans who love green things in mid-March, the Shamrock Shake is one of those things I have to have almost every year. Not just have rather need. But with me being on the Paleo Challenge, a Shamrock Shake in all its green food coloring goodness is off limits.

I went into the convenience store only to find the most dismal public restroom I have seen in a long time. I've seen cleaner ones in the middle of Montana, where the maintenance staff might come once a week. In my moment of need, I headed for the golden arches.

Upon entering I was struck by the stale fryer smell, the one that permeates your clothing after being in the area for more than 30 seconds. I bee-lined for the bathroom and then decided that I should probably get something there since I was using their facilities. I went to the counter where a man stood, seductively wrapping his lips around a straw was connected to a Shamrock Shake.


Need that... no, not the guy. The shake. Hey, when did they start putting whipped cream and cherries on this thing?

Then my willpower took over and I ordered a coffee. I was dangerously sedated from the potpourri I inhaled at the craft store. I was in no condition to be driving with out a pick-me-up. The coffee helped, but I was still craving my minty treat. 



On my way home, I stopped at a grocery store and after some deliberation I picked up a mint flavored, coconut milk frozen treat. I was a little curious as to how this was going to go. How are mint and coconut going to pair as an "ice cream"? Its brand name was So Delicious and I was So Willing to give it a shot.

Upon opening the pint, I was a little sad to see it was white. What the heck? This is supposed to be mint flavored and every mint-flavored thing I have consumed has always been green. Half the reason I get the Shamrock Shake is for it's green color. (That's because it’s authentically Irish, like green beer.) Now I was lazy and finally home from a tough day of window-shopping. I wasn't about to venture out to call shenanigans at the grocery store over this so I grabbed a spoon and dug in.        
   

   

This first spoonful was full of coconut flavor (shocking). After a few more bites, I started to get more of the mint flavor. It was no Shamrock Shake, but it was doing the trick. It was also incredibly easy to eat. I have only eaten an entire pint of ice cream in a single sitting once. I was not about to do that a second time, at least not today, so I coached myself to put the lid back on and put it in the freezer, for later.

After eating about half the pint, I decided that I should look at the nutrition of this. Some people believe that just because it is made from coconut milk, it is instantly better than the real dairy thing. But coconut milk is high in saturated fat. Even though this form of saturated fat is primarily composed of medium chain fatty acids (I'll save this topic for another blog), it still packs 9 calories a gram like any other fat.
I am going to the take the liberty to compare 12 ounces of the So Delicious Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert with the alternative, a 12-ounce Shamrock Shake. Let's take a look, shall we?


So Delicious Coconut Milk Mint Chip
Calories: 510 Calories
Fat: 27 g.
     Saturated Fat: 24 g.
Carbohydrates: 60 g.
     Fiber: 18 g.
     Sugar: 39 g.
Protein: 1 g.
Iron: 24 %

Shamrock Shake

Calories: 530 Calories
Fat: 15 g.
     Saturated Fat: 10 g.
Carbohydrates: 86 g.
     Fiber: 0 g.
     Sugar: 73 g.
Protein: 11 g.
Calcium: 40 %

The So Delicious was 120% of my daily value of saturated fat intake. That's 120% if I had nothing else to eat yesterday. This helps illustrate the importance of enjoying your favorite treats in moderation even if you do find it in the natural section of the grocery store. Unlike the Shamrock Shake, the So Delicious lacked calcium but had plenty of iron. The Shamrock Shake was no shining star though. It had more than double the sugar (part of that due to the natural lactose in it) and no fiber.

When it comes down to it, it's a pick your poison situation. Either way both options are going to be high in calories. The question is: do you want those calories to come from sugars or from fat? That choice is entirely yours. My only suggestion is to do whichever one you will get the most enjoyment from.  


No comments:

Post a Comment