Sunday, March 10, 2013

Week Two: Let the Contradictions Begin!

Earlier this week, a book I had on hold at the library finally came in. I had put this book, The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordian, Ph.D.,  on hold a few weeks ago prior to starting this challenge. I wanted this book serve as my main guide for the Paleo challenge since Cordain is one of the main figures Paleo enthusiasts know of. Cordian and his research is referred to on numerous websites and in books.

Unfortunately, there were 10 people ahead of me on the wait list so I had to refer to what I could find online and in books a friend loaned me for advice. The funny thing about this was that this Paleo book didn't even have the longest wait list. There were numerous Paleo cookbooks with a long list of holds ahead of me, including one with a 54 people already on it. Is it really that hard to think of recipes that basically only involve meat and vegetables?

Prior to reading The Paleo Diet I was little shocked at things that were considered okay on this diet. In the Practical Paleo book I found numerous recipes involving bacon, ribs, skin-on poultry, butter, and coconut oil. These foods are not exactly low in saturated fat. The first week of the Paleo challenge my blood felt more like sludge and I had less energy than before I had started. Week two, I cut out the bacon and went back to eating more egg whites. I started to feel better and I was a bit less reliant on caffeine in the morning.  

Here are just a few notable things a learned from The Paleo Diet: 
  • Choose lean meats, game meat, fish, and shellfish
  • Limit your whole egg intake (Note: There is nothing mentioned in regards to cholesterol free egg whites.) 
  • Eat your fruits and veggies (Note: All potatoes, not just white, are off limits in this book.)
  • Nuts and seeds are permitted
  • Oils (olive, avocado, walnut, and flaxseed), most beverages (besides water), and dried fruits are all allowed in moderation
  • In addition to dairy, legumes, and grains, also avoid butter, bacon, potatoes, yams, olives, canned meats, chicken skin, pork sausage, and honey most of the time. 
I found a lot of what Cordain was recommending to make sense. Eat lean meat, eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and use healthy fats. He also notes that you don't have to cut out foods such as dairy, grains, and legumes forever. (That's a relief.) The version of Paleo that Cordain recommends is very similar to Clean Eating, which is something I usually adhere to. 

Still, the hardest part of this is going out to eat. Every time I went somewhere for food this week I was satiated, but not full. At our favorite burger place, I found myself staring at people smushing down their bun as cheese oozed out the edges. Last night I would have killed for pizza. Killed. I also miss my beer; which would be amazing with the pizza I've been fantasizing about.


The grocery bill is still up there. The picture above is the latest load from my last shopping trip and that's not even half of it. Nutritionally speaking, I am still lacking calcium. My cholesterol and saturated fat intake are also both still high. I am hoping now that I am going to be following more closely to what Cordain outlines as Paleo, both my cholesterol and saturated fat intake will be in a more acceptable range.


Goals Update

  • My energy levels have increased, but nothing terribly notable. 
    • I'm also not sleeping any better. Hopefully this week will be better than last.   
  • I still have cold toes and fingers. I have a feeling this is not going to change in 4 weeks. 
  • I am so ready for spring break... mentally.  

I am now at the halfway mark of the challenge. Next weekend I have a conference to go to, let's see how Paleo I am able to be at a school nutrition conference. Since most of the foods that schools serve are commodity, and the majority of these foods are processed in some way, I am going to predict not very. Saint Patrick's Day (one of my favorite holidays) is also coming up. No reuben for me this year, but corned beef can still be on the menu!  

  




   

No comments:

Post a Comment