Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Irish, Cave-made Cupcake

Cupcake: cup-cake (noun) a small cake baked in a cuplike mold.

A cupcake is generally meant for one person to consume. Although if you go to someplace like Gigi's, one cupcake is large enough to be shared. (However, I'm not going to say that finishing one by yourself is impossible and I can attest to that.)

Lately, I have had an insatiable cupcake craving. Partially because I have yet to find a cupcake cafe to act as my safe haven here in Portland after a hectic week. Mainly because I am attempting to be fully Paleo and haven't had one in a long time.

After spending a good part of the week researching Portland cupcake stores, I was inspired to be more pro-active. Of course there are gluten-free bakeries here, but why not try to do a little of my own baking? This was also my first time baking with something other than wheat flour.

In the spirit of St. Patrick's Day, I decided I wanted something "Irish." Being the Naughty Nutritionist, I thought Irish cream would be a good flavor to work with. I also am a big fan of Bailey's in chai lattes- a concoction I discovered on a cold, snowy night a few years ago- so that is where the chai idea came from. But as much as I like the color green, I declined on adding food coloring.

I will forewarn you that these are not your typical cupcakes. The recipe I created was a mash-up of a cupcake recipe and a paleo muffin recipe. My cupcake does have a moist, spongey characteristic to them similar to most paleo mock-grain foods. They also aren't nearly as sweet, so it could easily pass for a breakfast muffin (minus frosting).

Bailey's Chai-Spiced, Gluten-Free Cupcakes
Makes approximately 18 cupcakes

What You Need:
12 Eggs
1 c. Butter, melted
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 c. Honey or Maple Syrup
1 c. Water
1 T. of Chai Tea
1/4 c. Irish Cream
1 c. Coconut Flour
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp of Baking Soda

What To Do:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Brew one cup of chai tea using the water and chai tea according to package instructions. (I used Rishi Tea Masala Chai loose leaf tea.) If you use chai concentrate, feel free to omit the honey and up the amount of chai used.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, vanilla, honey, chai tea, and Irish cream. Sift in the coconut flour, salt, and baking soda in and stir until well combined.

Line the cupcake pan wells with cupcake liners. If you do not use liners,  use pan spray or butter to lightly grease each well. Fill each cupcake well with 1/4 cup of the batter. Place the pans in the oven and bake for 30- 40 minutes.

Remove from oven and remove cupcakes from pan to cool. If you would like, frost or ice the cupcakes. (I used a marshmallow cream since I would not be able to refrigerate them.) Green food coloring would be a better addition to the frosting or icing than the cupcake itself due the dark color of the cake.  

No comments:

Post a Comment